Do you want to improve your leadership skills? The Canadian Orthopaedic Association (COA) is committed to promoting access to leadership opportunities in order to develop and support underrepresented groups within the orthopaedic community.
In 2021, the COA will offer a scholarship with rewards in two iterations valued between $100-$500 CAD per recipient, for COA members to attend a leadership course or conference of their choice. This scholarship will be awarded to orthopaedic residents, fellows, or active surgeons, on a competitive basis, to be used to defray costs related to attendance. Awards will be disbursed after proof of attendance and receipts are submitted.
All orthopaedic surgeons and trainees who identify as either female, or who are members of underrepresented groups in the specialty are encouraged to apply.
Summer/Fall Iteration – Now Closed
- Application deadline: June 1, 2021
- Applies to courses scheduled between June 1 and December 31, 2021
Winter/Spring Iteration – Opens December 1
- Application deadline: February 1, 2022
- Applies to courses scheduled between January 1 and May 31, 2022
- Be a member in good standing of the Canadian Orthopaedic Association.
- Identify as a female or a member of another underrepresented group in orthopaedics.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for developing leadership skills.
- Identify a specific leadership course that is scheduled to take place between June 1 and December 2021.
Instructions for Applicants
The applicant must submit an email message to: firstname.lastname@example.org consisting of the following:
- Title and brief description of a leadership course which you hope to attend, with a web link to the full course description.
- A brief personal statement, no longer than 300 words, describing your interest in leadership, how you will apply the course to your career path, and the underrepresented group(s) with which you identify.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV).
Please email your application to email@example.com by June 1, 2021. Include the words “Diversity in Leadership Scholarship” in the subject of your email. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure a confirmation of email receipt.
The scholarship recipient(s) will be selected by a steering committee made up of COA members and staff. Applicants will be notified by the end of June 2021. Successful applicants will be recognized through COA communications. The scholarship is a non-transferable opportunity.