Personal information means any information pertaining to an identifiable individual. We usually collect your personal information when you apply for a membership, subscribe to become a member, register for our annual conference, participate in some of COA’s activities, purchase some of our products and services or contact us with inquiries.
The type of information collected will usually include your name, mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number, your education history, training background, work history and your practice, your professional affiliations, your year of birth, gender, and language, your membership type and status, your payment information and history, information you communicate through e-mail, faxes, letters, and phone calls, and other personal information collected to provide a specific service or to research our membership. We collect most of our information about you directly from you, with your consent.
The main reason we collect personal information is to provide services to members, affiliates and other non-member users. The COA generally collects personal information from or about its members and other individuals with whom it deals for the following purposes:
- to create, establish and administer your membership account and confirm your ongoing membership;
- to provide services and support to our members, as well as publications, events, services and products to members as well as non-members;
- to respond to members or other inquiries and properly report membership account status to you;
- to provide access to information about the COA’s services and/or products;
- to establish your identity and ensure our records are accurate;
- to understand the needs of members and prospective members so as to offer products and services that meet those needs;
- subject to our members’ Right to Withdraw Consent, to promote products and services which may be of interest to our members and to conduct surveys undertaken in order to better understand the characteristics and needs of our membership. Data derived from these surveys will be used and shared publicly in the aggregate and not in a way that identifies any individual survey participant.