Many Canadians wait too long for access to musculoskeletal care. The COA strives to promote access to timely, appropriate orthopaedic care, and therefore continues to meet with government representatives to advocate for the adoption of innovative models of care. The COA also believes that national standards for appropriate wait times are important.
Position Statement on Access to Orthopaedic Care
Fast Track Care
The COA is proud to announce the launch of a public awareness, government relations and advocacy campaign called ‘Fast Track Care’, tackling surgical wait times in orthopaedics now, and as we navigate the new normal after the pandemic. You can get involved too!
#FastTrackCare was developed by Mobilize Canada, a coalition made up of the COA, the Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation, and the orthopaedic industry members of Medtech Canada. The initiative uses simple one step resources to empower surgeons, patients and allies to engage with provincial governments to:
- bring awareness to orthopaedic wait lists further exacerbated by COVID-19
- remove the misconception that ‘elective’ orthopaedic procedures are optional or lifestyle surgeries
- advocate for the prioritization of orthopaedic procedures amid the pandemic, and emphasize that Canada has the human resource capacity to ramp up procedures
On www.fasttrackcare.ca, the #FastTrackCare Campaign offers the opportunity to automatically send an e-mail to your respective Provincial MLA and Provincial Minister of Health. This e-mail can be customized with a personal impact story and emphasizes that patients are waiting in pain for restorative procedures that
are now further delayed by the pandemic. These are tools that allow your voice to be heard.
How You Can Support #FastTrackCare
- Direct your patients to https://fasttrackcare.ca to take action or copy/paste #FastTrackCare into the search engine of Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn to engage on social media.
- The web site also features a downloadable GR 101 document that outlines ways you could advocate for your patients through the #FastTrackCare campaign.
- Share this campaign through your own social media, web site and member communications (newsletters, journals).
- Click below to download a printable PDF flyer that you can hand out to patients or display in your clinic, office or waiting room.
It’s time make our collective voice and message louder and stronger together. It’s time to speak up.
It’s time to #FastTrackCare.